Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Blood Drive

After the classes we had a blood drive.

Did you know that unless the military have the troops donate the military has to PAY the American Red Cross for its blood supplies! Wow.

I think they just thought it was convenient they had so many bodies in one place. About 30 people were able to donate blood. It took awhile to get a chair to start drawing blood. Instead of the little stress balls they have you usually squeeze they had foam grenades. Halarious.

This would make 1 gallon and 2 pints since I started giving blood after my 17th birthday. It was a real shame I couldn't give blood when I was at Fort Meade, MD. I asked my major but he wanted the whole detachment. It didn't happen in the 6 months I was there. It was my major regret while there. Ever 56 days and I could possibly be saving a life.

I had a few female Marines giving blood. They wanted pictures for their Myspace or Facebooks.
The first is Pfc. Foster. Kinda funny since we're at Camp Foster. She was the one I met yesterday who was reading a book on Ronald Reagan. She did have some complications when giving blood. First they couldn't find a good vein and then something happened that made blood splatter all over the hands of the female Navy corpsman and dripped all over the floor. She did end up managing to fill a pint. Good on her.



The other female is Lance Corporal Haskell. This is her second duty station. She went to boot camp at Parris Island and then returned to work in supply. Now she'll be here. She asked the corpsman if she could keep her foam grenade and they let her... I wanted one!

2 comments:

liljoshwright said...

That's just messed up the military has to pay for blood.

Than again there is a blood shortage .....

deletehistory said...

Hi, Krysinski! :) I am glad to see that you are doing well in Japan. I was recently in Tokyo, at the airport of course.

The blood drive looked fun! Although, I'm one of those people who everyone would be waiting on... my viens are supposedly 'hard to find' lol.

Anyways, I decided to get one of these. Hope all is well, you have to update me on the life of the Japanese!

BTW, you have to eat the candy if you haven't already. I'm obsessed with... argh i forgot what they're called. they have flavors like blueberry, melon, grape, peach, etc. and they are shaped like little spheres, like the ones on top of dum-dums (lolipops.) haha.


wow, sorry, i didnt mean to write that much. :/