Friday, August 29, 2008

Welcome to the Air Force Life

I found out quickly that the Air Force was very friendly. The friendliest seem to be the smokers. There are desinated smoking places called "smoke decks" around base. The one between the barracks (or dormitory as they call it.. psst, this isn't college) and another is a pavilion. There are benches and chairs and usually an airmen with a cigarette and some alcohol. It seems they go hand in hand. The guy in the picture is Entwistle. He's in the Air Force and was one of the first people I met. I was on the way to the BX (Base Exchange... kinda like a supermarket) to pick up a few items. He said he'd go with me. We picked up a few things I needed like laundry soap, toilet paper and sticky notes. I also saw a laptop I'd like to buy but I'm going to hold off on that for awhile. We walked back and took my stuff to the 4th floor... of the wrong building. Woops. They are identical in my defense. After we stashed my stuff we went to go eat lunch.
The barracks where I live.
















The chow hall is about a 5 minute walk from my barracks.















The chow hall has much more of a selection than the Marine chow hall in Camp Foster. The difference is you pay for each item you put on your tray. I don't understand the system. I already have a meal card which means I have like $300 out of my check a month for the chow hall. They take the couple dollars it totals from the $300, I guess? The Air Force likes to be difficult.







The chow hall is quite large. On the left is the TV room in the next picture.









This is the TV room. I haven't seen many people use it.
















This is the way I enter and leave the chow hall.

No comments: