Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Gas Chamber

SORRY THERE ARE NO PICTURES!!!

I wanted to bring my camera but I didn't know what the gas crystals would do to my camera lens.

----

On Friday, new promoted, Corporal KC drove Castillo and I to the station. We were supposed to bring Means but we couldn't find her. We banged as hard as we could on her door but no one would come to the door. She had been out late seeing a play on base but I did leave her a sticky note telling her what time we were leaving - the sticky note was gone in the morning. The mystery aside, Castillo and I drove to the chapel where our gas chamber classes were going to be. Castillo was also doing a news story on the gas chamber so she brought her tripod and camera.

We waited around for the classes to start when we thought we saw Means in the distance - it was Means. Apparently, KC had gone back and knocked on her door once more. She came to the door. She had turned off her alarm clock and overslept. KC rushed her over and we all managed to sit together during the boring slideshow on how to properly wear everything. I came to the conclusion that if there was a chemical or biological attack I'd be screwed. I wasn't issued the gear in the first place - we're not supposed to. Apparently, there's enough gear for everyone on the base including family members.

I had remembered not to wear my contacts that day. Instead I wore my boot camp BCG's to be funny/ stupid. I got some odd looks that day for sure. In boot camp they said if you somehow managed to be wearing contacts still that the gas would make you go blind. After the class I asked why and it turns out because the gas is concentrated the gas crystals will melt the contact to your retina blinding you. Ouch.

We had almost an hour break. Means made sure to get breakfast.

We met some Marines from combat camera. Castillo and Means recognized them but they had graduated out of Fort Meade before I had gotten there. Soon they were handing out masks and suits. They had these suspender pants and jackets to wear over the cammies. We didn't have that in boot camp. I don't see why they were necessary either. I just needed the mask.

I was in the third group to go. We crowded 10 into a small hut and the gas was already flowing out of small canisters. I closed my eyes because it burns and makes your eyes tear.

The gas used in the Gas Chamber is chlorobenzylidene malonitrile, or CS Gas, a non-lethal substance that is used in all branches of the military and police departments as a riot control agent.

It really sucks. It feels like an instant sunburn. You have to break the seal inside the building and if you can't hold your breathe or open your eyes you are royally messed up until you get out. Even then the particles are still all over you and you can't touch yourself unless you want to make it worse. Your nose runs uncontrollably, your eyes water to the point you can't see and what snot isnt coming out of your nose is running down your throat.

I can see why they use it for riot control but then it's not so concentrated.

Castillo had her camera gear out when a sergeant walked up to her. He asked if we had still cameras. We didn't . He wanted to shoot a reenlistment ceremony - inside the gas chamber. A corporal decided he wanted to be motivated. It made for a great story that really just walked up to us. That's what's great about the news portion of the job - some great stories just fall into your lap.

Apparently, once inside the gas chamber that corporal tried to be a little too motivated and took off his mask fully. He didn't last long and he ran out of the chamber. He probably was puking. It doesn't take the gas long to do its job.

Congrats to him at least.

I did have to go back to work but thankfully I had done my work ahead of time so we didn't do to much before we got to go home.

No comments: