Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blue Man Paint?

I had wanted to go as a Stormtrooper from Star Wars this year, but there was a mix up so I don't think my costume will be here on time. No worries though. I'm making due and instead I will go as a blue man from the Blue Man Group. Problem is, I need to become blue. The Blue Men wear blue grease paint all over their heads and well, this is Okinawa, there is no blue grease paint to be found and it was too late to order it. I looked up a recipe and tried to make some of it myself. This was my crazy experiment:

The recipe called for:
2 Tablespoons of crisco
5 Teaspoons of cornstarch
1 Teaspoon of flour
Blue food coloring.

There was another recipe that called for glycerin but the only glycerin I had heard of was nitro glycerin - the stuff they use to make bombs. I figured glycerin would be hard to find so I went with the first recipe. I ended up with the following:
But getting the supplies was an adventure in itself. Who knew the food store (we call the commissary) didn't carry blue food coloring. I went and asked the bakery if they knew anything and the Okinawan man gave me a small container of it. Very nice of him. Also, in order to use a few drops... you need a dropper. I ended up buying baby tylenol just so I could get the dropper out of it. The eye dropper is just one of those things you end up just having in your house but can never find in stores. I also made sure to get a mixed dealy and measures for the teaspoons and tablespoons. I followed the instructions and came up with this:

I tried putting it on my skin but it ended up basically being like blue petroleum jelly. I still have it does not dry out. It would be too messy to wear at a Halloween Party. I would have to search out another means of becoming blue. I had already tried finding a certain Halloween store but after the first attempt I couldn't find it. I have to make this Halloween a good one no matter what problems come up. I was in boot camp last year and I want to make up for it.

No comments: