Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mock Elections at Local High School

At AFN we shoot news story all over the island. KC and Malta were going to do a video shoot at Camp Foster's (Marine base) high school. They were going to do a shoot on the mock elections the high school was holding. I was interested so I invited myself.

It turns out that in the government classes they had split up into the two (most popular) parties. They had all the aspects of the campaign, the speachwriter, the marketing people, all the odds and ends and even students posed as the canidates.

The high school was holding a mock debate in the audiorium. We were the only media covering the event. I was given the job of interviewing the government teacher in charge of the whole deal. She is a Department of Defense teacher who had tried this at her last base in Iceland (never would have guessed). I gave KC plenty of footage to edit. We also filmed interviews with the mock candiates.

After the school lunch period students from all the grades piled into the auditorium. Soon the candiates took the stage and we started filming. KC and I were on the side "Obama" was on while Malta was on the "McCain" side. After KC got some footage he let me take control of the camera and allowed me to move closer. I somewhat knew what I was doing. I just was hoping everything was in focus. The news segment will be shown on TV this week, I think.

The "McCain" really impressed me. He was a pretty good speaker. He also was in the advanced government class whereas "Obama" was picked from the regular government class but wasn't afraid of talking in front of a crowd.

These pictures were taken before the debate. "McCain" put baby powder in his hair to make him look well... old... like McCain. Of course, the baby powder was a huge mess. He just made sure to not move his head a lot.

I think the high school held their mock election. I'll find out who won.

No comments: