Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Okinawan Memorial Day

Once again the USO gave us another fantastic story. June 23rd marked the 64 anniversary of the Battle of Okinawa. Thousands of people from all over Okinawa came to observe the ceremony at Peace Prayer Park in southern Okinawa. There are marble slabs all over the park with each of the 240,734 Okinawans/ Japanese military who died during the battle. The prime minister of Japan was even there. I could barely see him.

The USO itself put on a small ceremony for the 14,007 Americans who also died during the battle. I interviewed the consul general for Okinawa, Kevin Maher. A consul general serves as an advisor for the state within the country they're in. They are somewhat like a diplomat.

My only problem with the shoot was that there was SO much press. There was literally a wall of press that I couldn't get through. I wish I could have gotten better shots of the prime minister. That is so great that the prime minister can visit like that.

No comments: