Tuesday, June 30, 2009

USO Fishing Trip

I swear, the USO gives us some of our most fun news stories. They called us up and asked if someone from AFN wanted to go on a deep sea fishing trip. They decided to give the story to me. It was a very early Saturday morning for me. Fishing is fishing, it's slow going. It's not a high energy sport. Even though we were apart of a fishing tourament the fish wern't in a rush to be caught. The goal was to catch the BIG fish like Marlin.

The USO chartered the boat and had 2 servicemembers from each service on board (The Marine's thankfully didn't show up, the boat seemed crowded enough to me already. We had a local Okinawan fisherman take us out and show us how to deep sea fish. It was a new experience for nearly everyone on board.

Sadly, I never did get a picture of the fish that we caught that morning. It was about 28 pounds they guessed.

During the 16 hours I was out on the water I was tossed around while trying to get good film shots for the news story. I even did my interviews on the boat. With all the rocking of the boat I thought my news story would be a mess. I never did get sick though. I took some medicine before I went out on the boat. I did sleep a lot during the trip. They had a little cabin. I don't think I got enough sleep or maybe it was just all the energy it takes your body to keep itself upright on the water.

My news story turned out to be wonderful. Everyone at the USO loved the story too. I even got a nice shot of the fish flopping on the deck.

1 comment:

Brittaney said...

I never imagined you to be the seasick kind of person, Michael. I spent a lot of my early life on boats, so it's hard to imagine anybody getting sick on a boat...

Cool post, though!