Monday, September 8, 2008

My Arms Feel Like Jello

Weightlifting. It's something I'm definitely not good at and I've put it off for a long time. I can run. Running is my thing. The last time I ran 3 miles I did it in 20 minutes. I need to lose weight. Today Corporal Hunter was talking to Malta about weightlifting. He invited me along to weight lift at 7pm. He wants to tone up a little, I guess. He is muscular. Well tonight when I got to the gym Malta wanted to do his own thing so it was Corporal Hunter and I doing all the weightlifting. He is stronger than me and he knows what he is doing. That helps when you haven't been weightlifting for awhile. We plan on going every day Monday through Friday. We want to do arms Monday, Wednesday and Friday and legs and back on Tuesday and Thursday.

Tonight we started on the bench and I was did three sets starting with 135 pounds (45 pounds on each side of the bar) but I was arching my back so it meant I should do less weight. The next sets were 115. I have a ways to go until I reach my weight (about 180 right now)

We also did the incline and the decline benches, the butterfly machine, some forearm exercises and I personally jumped on the pull up bar and did a set on the rowing machine. I had a girlfriend back in like 10th grade named Abby who was a rower. She always said rowing was one of the hardest sports. She swam and I swam - that's how I met her. That was random but, oh well.

Corporal went for a run by himself (he doesn't have to run with us on Tuesday and Thursday mornings because of his radio show, I guess). Tomorrow I wake up at 5am to go do some exercises with Gunny and the gang. I've just recovered from the lunges we did last time. My hamstrings burned all weekend. Apparently, we're doing something called the "jungle run" which sounds like fun. It's like a 4 mile run and it's like the hardest course we have on base. Lance Corporal KC didn't run with us last time and he heard I came in first on the run on Thursday. He wants to compete against me. Oh boy. If I could lose a good 20 pounds I'd be golden. I'm just watching my potions and it helps that I have to buy my own food now. Run now I'm just eating frosted flakes and chicken wraps with lettuce and cheese.

I watched a video about how much sugar we eat a meal. It's like a cup a meal. Made me look at the sugar on all my food:
Ruffles chips - 0 grams of sugar
2 graham cracker sheets - 8 grams (usually I eat all 9 cracker sheets... wooooops)
Peanut butter - 3 grams for 2 tbsps
3/4 of a cup of frosted flakes - 12 grams of sugar
"Rain" 5 gum - 0 grams (heh it's sugarfree)
Strawberry jelly - 12 grams per tbsp
Orange juice - 2 grams per 8 fl oz.
Nonfat milk - 11 grams per 1 cup
Lettuce - 0 grams
Chicken breast meat - 0 grams
Tortilla - 1 gram
Mozzarella cheese - 0 grams per 1/4 cup

I just think back to the dentists office about how many grams are in a candy bar. A Snickers candy bar (I haven't had one in awhile actually) has 30 grams of sugar in it.

A cup of sugar is about 200 grams. It doesn't seem like it would take that long to eat a cup of sugar.

Then again some sugar is good for you. But everyone over does it. I'll see if I can cut back the next time I go and buy food.

No comments: