Thursday, September 4, 2008

My first day of work

The day finally came. The day of my first day of work. It wasn't really so much work as it was meeting and talking to new people and figuring out the building I'll be in for the next 2 years. Like I've said before. I'll be working with Lance Corporal Malta in television production making short commercials for the 8 Armed Forces Network channels. I have to go to work in a few minutes because we PTed this morning (I guess I'm the best runner out of the Marines... imagine if I could lose some weight and gain some muscle) so I'll just post a few pictures and edit this entry later. Here's a few pictures.
The AFN building, which is located on Camp Foster. Camp Foster is 15 minutes away from Kadena Air Base. Here are some of the Marines I'll be working with climbing the stairs to the front door.









The entrance to the AFN building.














Here is the room that is used for the radio shows we do. Sitting at the controls is Lance Corporal Amber G. Watson who hosts a show from 2-6pm. She is going to be moving to another show soon to make way for Corporal Todd Hunter (who all the Airmen seem to love) who just returned from leave.
Watson said the controls look complicated but you learn fast. Watson is under a lot of pressure though. A lot of people listen to her broadcasts and they hear every mistake she makes. Sometimes they'll even call in and complain. "I see it as constructive critism," said Watson. They'll say anything from she's not personable enough to it sounds as if she's just reading when she talks. She takes it all in and tries to make herself better. As a side note, I think she's very personable. She's really nice and easy to talk to. I didn't know her like I kinda knew some of the other Marines who left DINFOS a few weeks after I got there.

Lance Corporal Castillo at her work desk.











Lance Corporal "KC" Knapikchistensen whose desk is right across from Castillo's desk.














Air Force Staff Sgt. Joe M. Woolston. He is the news head and collects Matchbox-type cars and some action figures.














Staff Sgt. Woolston looking at a news story Lance Corporal "Candle" Candelaria was working on.














Just recently returned from leave, Corporal Todd Hunter. Corporal Hunter recently was on a tour to Afghanistan. He worked on the radio station there with one other Marine and a group of airmen. He hosts a radio show but the times he's on has been changing. I like it when he cohosts with Air Force Staff Sergeant "Rach H" Rachel Herrmann who currently hosts the morning show.












Malta working in his office where we create all of the "billboards" - free advertisements we do for businesses and events which basically consist of text, a moving background and a voice over.














Lance Corporal Means has been working in the news department trying to learn how to create the stories for television and how to edit them in a program she's not used to. She's chatting with Lance Corporal Malta on some down time.













Here is Lance Corporal Malta working in the "Bat Cave" where we control all of the programing for the 8 channels on AFN. I've picked up how to do this quick. Basically, I put the commercials we make in place of the commercials that are put in already. I have to go through the hours of 4pm to midnight and then 5am to the end of the list. We only do one day at a time.

1 comment:

eMOM said...

So awesome to see photos! Keep blogging we're loving it. Tell everyone @ work we appreciate them and send our support.