Saturday, November 8, 2008

Halloween Part 1

Halloween was on a Friday this year so I worked that day. I had to go on a video shoot with KC in Naha, the capital of Okinawa. We drove for hours but couldn't find city hall. We found a place called "city offices" but when we asked the lady at the information desk about the conference she made calls and said it was in another building. There must have been a translation issue or something because when KC went back to Naha a week later for a similar shoot it turned out that was the correct building. Oh well.

I got home that day and put on my black dress pants, black long sleeved shirt and grabbed my make up and left with my roommate to Foster. He dropped me and off I went to Jessica's room. Of course, there is this whole signing in process and all these rules that don't exist in my barracks (and base) like keeping the door open and all the girls living on the first floor so they can basically be watched.

Jessica and I took some before pictures (which are posted) and then put on the make up together. She got the back of my head and neck and I did my face. It was pretty thick make up. Means had told me to put a coat on, let it dry and then put another coat on. The thing is, after I put the first coat on there wasn't a problem with patches.

I did wait for it to dry. I let her get into her costume while I walked around. I came across a group of guys dressed up. The one I thought was the best costume of the night was the teenage mutant ninja turtle costume made out of Marine Corps clothing and cammy paint. Awesome.

I went back to Jessica and she had her costume on. She went as Princess Leia from Star Wars. She said her wig didn't fit quite right. Her hair stuck out in the back instead of being all in the wig. I told her just to have fun.

We went to Taco Bell for dinner and my make up was coming off my mouth and lips. There were some cute kids in costume and after their mother took a picture of me I took a picture of them. Thankfully, I thought ahead and brought extra make up and gloves.

After Taco Bell we went to the Globe and Anchor, the bar for the enlisted on base. I had heard they were having a costume contest at work and games etc. We showed up early and no one was really there. We ran into a Spock without the pointy ears and met Darth Vader sitting at the bar. The geeks were out in full force. I talked to the man who was in charge of checking IDs what time the costume contest was. Midnight. I couldn't do it. I had to be on base at Kadena by midnight. There wern't many people around and most everyone wasn't in costume so we left and got a taxi (or honcho as they call it here) to take us to American Village.

There were many more people dressed up at American Village. The funny thing was most were Okinawan! A lot of the kids and teenagers were dressed up. I saw a lot of the store workers were dressed up too. We suddenly became very popular. They knew who I was and of course knew who Jessica was. Many many many Okinawans asked to take our pictures. I took a lot of pictures too. I'll post a few of them that I liked. Peace signs a plenty.

A lot of the Okinawan girls just wore their school uniforms out and went as "Sexy Schoolgirl". You know what the difference between normal schoolgirl and sexy schoolgirl? Pigtails. That simple.

Here are some ninjas and other scary kids.

Some of the local store workers. There had apparently had been a costume contest a couple hours earlier I had missed. The guy in the white coat with all the make up did a really good job. I don't know how he placed in the contest.

Finally, I loved these kids. I love the Superman pose. I think the girls were twins?

It started raining so we got a cab and headed to Gate 2 Street to see if we could see any Marines and Airmen in costume. Jessica had been complaining she was tired most of the night. Her roommate had a room inspection that kept her up. Instead of hanging around Gate 2 Street I took her back so she could sleep. It was still "early" in the night for me though. I had other plans...

1 comment:

Politics of a Patriot said...

So I just had a Marine here looking for info on Okinawa because he's going there, so I gave him your blog. Not sure if he'll stop by, but thought I'd give you a heads up.

Your Halloween looked way more fun than mine. Ha.