Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving In Okinawa

I was wondering what I would end up doing for Thanksgiving this year for the last month. There were a lot of Thanksgiving meals going on around the base just so people wouldn't miss out on it. I wanted to spend Thanksgiving with the people I care about. I was really happy to hear Rachel, the Air Force staff sergeant who hosts the morning show, was throwing a Thanksgiving dinner at her house off base. She invited everyone from base. I asked if Jessica could come and she said it was more the merrier. Malta, Jessica and I took a honcho over to her house around 2PM.

Rachel was over there with Sergeant Hunter and McAdam and Candelaria preparing all the food. They were going all out.

Rachel shared her Thanksgiving tradition - Jell-o shots. Also, I learned something this weekend, my grandma didn't know what a jell-o shot was. It's okay grandma :)

Thanksgiving dinner was amazing! It was by far the best meal I've had on island. There was all the traditional food. A juicy turkey, buttered rolls, green beans, sweet potatoes, corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and of course gravy. We all went around the table (with Rachel recording) and said what we were thankful for. So for the record, I'm thankful for the great people I work with that make life here bearable - that includes my gunny.

After dinner we watched a comedy group called Flight of the Conchords. They are hilarious. You can check them out on youtube if you'd like.

Jessica and I made a new friend. Her name was Bella. She's very friendly.

After watching probably an hour of them on youtube we played "Scene It" A DVD trivia game about movies. It's a lot of fun. The Hunter/McAdam team won the longer version and Malta won the shorter version. I was surprised how many movies I hadn't seen. I've seen 743+ movies according to Netflix.

We all left Rachels. Malta, Jessica and I were heading back to base. We walked back to base. We couldn't find a honcho that was authorized on base. When we got to the gate we called a honcho and went to Tan Tans - a Japanese resturant that has phenominal soup/meat/spicy/add rice bowl. I dunno - it's fantastic though. I wrote about it on here a month or so ago. It was a great way to make a great day better.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 comments:

marinemaninjapan's mommy said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mikey!

Love & kisses,

Mom

gfgdgf said...

Glad to hear you had an outstanding thanksgiving. And your mom posted above me. That is so cool. It's all about support.

aahler said...

Hi, I miss you.